PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & OUTREACH SUPPORT
for Community Based Organizations
Community Works Institute (CWI) offers a wide variety of professional development opportunities and customized ON SITE trainings for community based organizations.
Bring CWI to Your School, District, or Organization
CWI’s approach to place based service-learning and sustainability is uniquely powerful. Service-learning is associated with higher student engagement and achievement, improved school climate, and greater teacher effectiveness.
Contact Us for Program Support
For a free consultation, or to discuss bringing CWI to work with your community based organization
email us, or call: 909.480.3966 (PST)
What We Do
Since 1995, CWI has worked with thousands of educators across the U.S. and internationally. We help educators to create exciting and authentic curriculum and programs that connect students and schools to their communities. CWI’s best practice based model has supported educators around the world in making service-learning a core part of their school culture and teaching practice.
How We Work
We will meet your community organization exactly where you are, through a customized training, presentation, and/or coached planning and strategy sessions that integrate your school own unique needs and resources. (fee schedule available on request)
We Support Educators by:
• Providing high quality training, consulting, and professional coaching;
• Offering annual open enrollment Summer Institutes on Service-Learning and Sustainability;
• Showcasing resources and curriculum examples that work;
• Publishing and sharing teacher created work;
• Connecting practitioners in the field
On Site Faculty Support and Special Events
Community Works Institute (CWI) offers coaching and consulting support, as well as on-site trainings, retreats, and professional development. CWI’s model for Service-Learning is highly effective and comprehensive, at both the instructional and site levels. We will assist your school in assessing specific needs and build a collaborative plan to meet those needs.
• CWI events/workshops are customizable and available in one or multi-day formats.
• we emphasize service-learning, sustainability, and place-based education.
• we support curriculum design that maximizes academic integration, student voice and engagement, while building reciprocal relationships with community partners.
• CWI sessions can also be designed specifically for administrators, youth, and parents.
• We meet your school or organization—where you are—helping to align your goals with concrete outcomes that faculty, students, and parents will engage with and support.
Developing Short and Long Term Professional Development Plans
We provide onsite assistance in developing a comprehensive professional development plan for service-learning. CWI will work with your leadership team to clarify their goals and then coach them through the process of developing a professional development plan that includes the training needed for successful implementation. Schools with clearly stated goals and a plan of action for service-learning have found they are more focused and more productive. Our support services can be customized to include: onsite work with the planning team, grade level sessions, and virtual follow-up.
Workshops and Presentations
CWI is known for conducting highly interactive, practical, and engaging workshops. Participants in our workshops frequently cite the active, hands-on approach we take All workshops are designed to meet the needs of your specific learning setting.
Participants will learn to use best practice based tools and strategies to:
• Identify high quality service-learning project;
• Create a plan that incorporates service-learning into their teaching;
• Implement a high quality project for diverse types of learners;
• Build a collaborative and student voice driven learning environment;
• Create reflective activities that are responsive to a variety of learning styles
CWI employs dynamic presentations that are designed to inspire and engage faculty members in mission driven work that will bring out the best creative and collaborative spirit in our professional practice. Our presentations are experience based and draw directly from educators in the field.
On Site Consultations and Planning Sessions
Visits to community organizations and schools usually range from two days to one week. We integrate best practice based strategies to create a sense of shared purpose and collaborative process and accomplishment. We assist with long-term planning, alignment with the school’s mission, and practical steps for implementation from the classroom to the campus.
Our planning sessions provide a coached opportunity for teachers and administrators to develop their own curriculum plans and/or school wide continuums, with guided feedback aimed at creating a coherent and viable site plan. We believe that professional dialogue, planning, and work sessions are an often neglected but crucial part of professional development. Our participants consistently tell us that having focused work time with experienced guidance and support is invaluable to their process.
Plan a Local Institute for Your Organization
We work with local schools, districts, and regional partners to create intensive multi-day institutes. These institutes incorporate local priorities and initiatives within a strategic approach to service-learning. Our experience teaches us that truly effective institutes and PD events require a coaching and consultation component.